Tugume Flagged off for a Fight with Niemoller
Entebbe - UPDAF H/Q, 19 March 2020 ››Tugume Flagged off for a Fight with Niemoller
The Deputy Commander UPDF Air Forces Brig Geofrey Tumusiime Katsigazi has Flagged off a Kick boxing fight between Sgt Tugume Titus and American Robert Niemoller. Sgt Tugume Titus is a Uganda Peoples' Defence Forces soldier attached to UPDF Air Force's directorate of Sports. He will fight Niemoller on the 23rd March 2020 at International University of East Africa Kasanga in Kampala - Uganda.
The Deputy Commander Air forces while flagging off the fighter applauded Sgt Tugume for the great work he is doing in sports which has raised the Ugandan flag high internationally .
Brig Katsigazi, noted that whatever achievement Tugume has got is not personal but rather a national achievement. He encouraged all Ugandans to support him and be proud of him .
"As Air Force we are proud of you because you are our own and UPDF at large.You are a good example to other soldiers."
He added that sports excellence in UPDF is not new as exhibited in the recently highly contested East African Military games and sports in Nairobi Kenya," Brig Katsigazi observed.
UPDF has participated in different games like Golf, cricket, foot ball among others.
The Air Force chief encouraged Tugume to be strong and maintain the standard, noting that success is not easily acquired because most of the players go win get money and come back home, over drink and engage in antisocial behaviors that cause them to lose their lives.
The President kick boxing, Don Malik Kalisa,praised the Air Force for grooming well Sgt Tugume with discipline and for the continued support by the Forces leadership which has enabled Tugume excel.
He added that Tugume has been easy to train and his cooperation has enabled him excel in the game .
Sgt Tugume appreciated the UPDF leadership for the support rendered to him and most especially giving him opportunity to concentrate on his talent.
Tugume thanked his promoters Stabex and International University of East Africa (IUEA) for all the financial and moral supoort. "Without you I couldnt make it, I pledge not to let you down" he added.
Sgt Tugume joined the Forces in 2000, started playing KICK BOXING in 2005.
In 2007 he started winning sports awards as follows:
1. 2007 he got a Bronze Medal Uganda Open Championship in Taekwondo ( Kampala Uganda ).
2. 2008 Gold medal from TAFISA World Sports for all games ( South Korea) and USPA Award .Best Kick Boxer of the year (Kampala Uganda).
3. 2009 Silver Medal from Kick boxing championship (RIMINI, Italy ) and Trophy of the best player (Italy ).
4. 2010 Gold medal from International Self Defence Championship (Thessalonica Greece).
5. 2011 Gold medal from Antalia ( Turkey ).
6. 2013 Gold University games Tae - Kwondo and Karate ( Dar-sar-mar Tanzania ).
7. 2016 Golden medal - Egypt International Championship (Egypt).
8. 2017 World championship Gold and Silver ( Florida USA).
9. 2018 World Golden warrior Championships 2 Golden Trophy and Golden Belt (Los Angeles California).
10. 2019 - 2019Mixed Martial Arts Kick boxing Championships- Belt (Orlando ,Florida,USA)
11. 2019 WKU World Championships 2 Bronze in KI and Full contact style Bregnez, Australia and many more medals
The ceremony was also graced by the Chief of Staff Air Force, Brig Charles Okidi, the Commandant Uganda Air Force College,Brig Emmanuel Kazahura, the president kick boxing Federation( UKBF) Mr Don Malik Kalisa, the representative of International University of East Africa Mr Nicholas Isabirye , Directors among others